The CELTA is an introductory course for native speakers of English or those with an excellent command of the language who have little or no previous experience of teaching languages, or no formal training in English language teaching.
This is a highly practical course that provides training in the teaching of English as a foreign language to adults. It aims to provide teachers with a firm foundation on which they can build with experience. It deals with levels from Beginners to Upper-Intermediate. The course presents a view of the principles underlying language teaching and deals extensively with the analysis of English from a learner's perspective.
Specifically, the CELTA course program is designed to enable candidates to:
- Develop an awareness of language and knowledge of the description of English and apply these in their professional practice.
- Develop an initial understanding of the contexts within which adults learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and the learner.
- Develop familiarity with the principles and practice of effective teaching to adult learners of English.
- Develop basic skills for teaching adults in the language classroom.
- Develop familiarity with appropriate resources and materials for use with adult learners of English for teaching, testing and for reference.
- Identify opportunities for their own future development as professionals in the field.
An outline of the syllabus can be obtained upon request.
At BKC-International House Moscow this course is run as an intensive four-week course, Monday to Friday.
The CELTA course program includes:
- 120 contact hours between the candidates and the course tutors which involves input, tutorial support, supervised lesson planning, feedback, peer observation;
- 80 hours of reading;
- in addition, 6 hours teaching practice supervised by a course tutor;
- in addition, 6 hours directed observation of lessons taught by experienced ELT professionals.
Candidates who successfully complete a Cambridge CELTA course at BKC IH Teacher Training Centre receive both the Cambridge Certificate and a certificate-report from BKC-IH Moscow. The report describes the candidate's performance in some detail and serves as a useful reference for employment.